At a Glance:
You are probably picking your new dishwasher based on quietness, cycles, and racks.
However, and most importantly, you should look at reliability.
This article is all about reliability within the first year and the most reliable dishwasher brands based on our actual service calls.
The most reliable dishwasher brands for 2020 are:
- Fisher & Paykel
We logged 34,687 service calls in 2018. In 2019, that number rose to 35,256. You'll see dishwasher trends from 2016 to 2019 in this article.
Every year, we publish an article about the most and least reliable brands. It's important to differentiate by-product and not just by brand.
For instance, refrigerators, as a category, need two times the amount of service than a dishwasher.
For a more accurate measure, we now publish multiple reliability articles based on different appliances like dishwashers.
In this article, you will learn about the most reliable dishwashers by service percentage.
Also, you will learn about buzzing solenoids, and why the most reliable dishwashers are not always the best purchases.
How We Calculate Appliance Reliability
It's a simple formula. We look at service calls and divide them by sales over 12 months for a percentage.
Then we compare each manufacturer's percentage to establish the reliability of that brand.
We look at these stats all the time to curate our selection to be the most reliable.
We have to fix appliances often at a loss, so a more reliable brand portfolio is financially better for us and fewer headaches for you.
Most Reliable Dishwashers for 2020
|Service QTY||Shipped QTY||Service Ratio|
|Fisher & Paykel||56||193||29.02%|
Let's break those numbers down and take a look at the most reliable dishwasher brands for 2019 - 2020.
I didn't include GE or Cove in these rankings because we only have been selling them for 7-8 months. There is not enough data or units sold for an accurate measure.
190 Sold | 103 Serviced - 54.21% Service Rate
- 2017-2018: 195 Sold | 47 Serviced - 24.1%
- 2016 - 2017 100 Sold | 20 serviced - 20%
- 2015 - 2016 74 Sold | 16 serviced - 25%
Asko's service rate returned to their previous years rather than improving on last year's number.
The brand is incredibly well constructed with graphite racks and all stainless construction, but the rate is 11% higher than the average.
493 Sold | 188 Serviced - 38.13% Service Rate
- 2017-2018: 908 Sold | 170 Serviced - 18.72%
- 2016-2017: 575 Sold | 175 Serviced - 17.75%
We separated Jenn-Air from KitchenAid for the first time last year, even though they are the same dishwasher. For some reason, it still requires more service than the KitchenAid.
Fisher & Paykel
193 Sold | 56 Serviced - 29.02% Service Rate
- 2017-2018: 175 Sold | 24 Serviced - 24%
- 2016-2017: 131 Sold | 33 Serviced - 25.19%
- 2015-2016: 100 Sold | 16 Serviced - 16%
Fisher & Paykel's dishwasher repair rate was at 40% at one time. Now, they have taken a step back from the last few years. Part of their issue is how unique the product is.
903 Sold | 185 Serviced - 20.49% Service Rate
- 2017-2018: 1,078 Sold | 155 Serviced - 14.38%
- 2016 - 2017: 1,126 Sold | 67 Serviced - 5.95%
- 2015 - 2016: 871 Sold | 78 Serviced - 7.8%
How does a brand priding itself on quality control go from 5.95% to over 20% in 3 years?
Last year it was frozen motors. This year its buzzing solenoids.
The dishwasher solenoid opens the drain. This buzzed last year enough for us to replace them.
The repair is easy, didn't affect functionality, and Miele has covered the cost even out of warranty. I would still consider this dishwasher (I did and bought one two years ago).
872 Sold | 126 Serviced - 14.45% Service Rate
- 2017-2018: 711 Sold | 123 Serviced - 17.30%
- 2016-2017: 875 Sold | 107 Serviced - 12.23%
- 2015-2016: 609 Sold | 104 Serviced - 17%
Thermador, owned and manufactured by the BSH Corporation (the same as Bosch), is very similar to a Bosch dishwasher.
It was supposed to be manufactured completely different last year, but they are still produced in the same plant.
Thermador dishwashers now have incredible cycles and lots of options like a 20-minute wash and dry cycle but have 3% more repair than the less-featured Bosch.
688 Sold | 90 Serviced - 13.08% Service Rate
- 2017-2018: 705 Sold | 115 Serviced - 16.31%
KitchenAid drops below the average repair rate for dishwashers. Their middle-tier dishwashers have the lowest sound 39 dBA and the most features at only $749-799.
3573 Sold | 396 Serviced - 11.14% Service Rate
- 2017-2018: 2,735 Sold | 303 Serviced - 11.08%
- 2016 - 2017: 2,964 Sold | 286 Serviced - 9.65%
- 2015 - 2016: 3,671 Sold | 257 Serviced - 9.62%
For value in a dishwasher, Bosch may be the best product sold.
Most of these dishwashers are high end with tons of new features yet have a relatively low repair rate.
1297 Sold | 134 Serviced - 10.33% Service Rate
- 2017-2018: 915 Sold | 85 Serviced - 9.29%
- 2016 - 2017: 285 Sold | 24 Serviced - 8.42%
- 2015 - 2016: 140 Sold | 9 Serviced 6.5%
I almost want Samsung to have a high rate of repair, so people will stop yelling at me.
I only report numbers, folks. Don't make them up. Then again, why would I make them up just to spend more money repairing them?
Their dishwashers are excellent for features and reliability. However, if there are issues, service can be a hassle. So be careful.
81 Sold | 5 Serviced - 6.17% Service Rate
- 2017-2018: 78 Sold | 4 Serviced - 5.27%
It's almost not enough information to consider this product reliable, but the rest of their line is among the best, especially their washers and dryers.
However, like Samsung, you should figure out who will service it before you buy it.
1471 Sold | 38 Serviced - 2.58%
- 2017-2018: 1,040 Sold | 44 Serviced - 4.27%
- 2017 - 2018: 779 Sold | 11 Serviced - 1.41%
- 2016 - 2017: 525 Sold | 20 Serviced - 3.81%
Whirlpool is sold primarily to large construction jobs, so it's hard to know when people move in and use the appliance.
In fact, we do not even display a Whirlpool dishwasher in any of our stores.
The product is basic, with limited features. It's also loud at over 50 dBA. So, don't run out and buy a Whirlpool dishwasher unless you're looking for something inexpensive and basic.
Dishwasher Service Trends
We delivered 10,166 and serviced 1,377 dishwashers in all of 2019 for an average repair rate of 13.55%.
We noticed the service trend was worse in 2017 and 2018 by almost 40%.
Last year dishwashers were repaired more than an average appliance at 13.55 versus 13.1 for all other appliances combined for the first time since we tracked reliability.
The corollary to service issues is the parts turnaround. You call us with a problem. We then diagnose the problem, order the parts, and then send a technician to repair the dishwasher.
It should be a 1-2-day turnaround maximum. The best dishwasher brands to buy based on service and parts availability are any from the Whirlpool companies (Jenn-Air, Kitchen-Aid, and Maytag) and Bosch.
You should also be concerned with the service experience. Most manufacturers and only 5% of the retailers have a service department with more than one or two technicians.
It is paramount for you to locate a reputable service agent before buying any appliance. You will statistically need one when buying a whole new kitchen of appliances within the first year.
Which Dishwasher Should You Buy?
That's more of a product question. We have more extensive articles diving into the best dishwashers for your home.
However, it depends on what you want.
Whirlpool is a good bet for an inexpensive product without features. Samsung has decent features at lower prices with good quietness.
Bosch and KitchenAid both have great products. KitchenAid at $799 is well featured. Bosch dishwashers with CrystalDry are excellent.
Which brings us to Miele.
Miele has had problems like any brand, but their problems have been more of a nuisance than the product not working. The company handled the issues honorably.
At the same time, as you are sitting in a condo tower 35 floors up, you will be happy to know the product is almost leak-proof with its double insulated pump.
So it's up to you, your budget, and the situation.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How long do dishwashers usually last?
Dishwashers last 6-10 years on average.
2. Is it worth repairing a dishwasher?
Depends on the issue, many companies will give you an estimate.
3. What is the best DB for a dishwasher? / What is the quietest dishwasher?
Best DBs is Miele and Bosch at 37 DB, but anything under 44 will be quiet.
4. How long should a dishwasher cycle last / what is the fastest dishwasher?
Dishwasher cycles top out at 3 hours 30 minutes, but the average is 2 hours. The fastest is 20 minutes for the Thermador Star Sapphire.
5. Do you need insulation around a dishwasher?
Dishwashers already have insulation.
Have questions on dishwashers? Then get The Yale Dishwasher Buying Guide with features, specs, and detailed profiles of every major brand like Miele, Bosch, Asko, KitchenAid, Frigidaire, and more. Over 620,000 people have read a Yale Guide.
- Why Your New Appliance Will Not Be Repaired
- Should You Buy A Third-Party Warranty?
- Best Dishwasher Deals
- Best Panel-Ready Dishwashers
Most Reliable Appliances Series:
- Most Reliable / Least Serviced Appliance Brands
- Most Serviced Appliance Brands
- Most Reliable Counter Depth French Door Refrigerators
- Most Reliable Top Load Washers
- Most Reliable Front Load Washers
- Most Reliable Full-Size Dryers
- Most Reliable Compact Washers
- Most Reliable Compact Dryers
- Most Reliable Gas Cooktops
- Most Reliable Induction Cooktops
- Most Reliable Electric Ranges
- Most Reliable Induction Ranges
- Most Reliable Freestanding Gas Ranges
- Most Reliable Dual Fuel Professional Ranges
- Most Reliable Professional Gas Ranges
- Most Reliable Wall Ovens
My goal has always been simple: I want Yale to be the best retail experience anywhere. I have tried to create a compelling environment for customers and employees alike.
A Note About Pricing