The 10 best brands have been chosen based on customer preferences since the beginning of 2013. We added service reliability in the Boston area as an additional metric.
10 - Dacor
After years of being irrelevant, Dacor has returned with some cool products like the wine steward along with their always decent cooking. They no longer produce outside their comfort zone with 30 inch dishwashers and refrigeration.
Dacor also has some really interesting packages below their ultra premium competitors.
- Strengths: Wine Steward, ranges and packages
- Weaknesses: Refrigeration, specifically in the ultra premium market
9 - KitchenAid
KitchenAid used to own affordable counter depth refrigeration, wall ovens and premium dishwashers. Still a great brand, but parent Whirlpool has focused more on Jenn-Air.
- Strengths: Dishwasher, surprisingly good built in cooking
- Weaknesses: Packages, Slide-ins, lack of truly compelling product
8 - Viking
A fall from grace due to reliability issues and lack of customer service. New owner Middleby will be focused on manufacturing efficiency and product quality (hopefully).
- Strengths: Range
- Weaknesses: Service ratings, Refrigeration
Read more: 30" Pro Range Packages
7 - Electrolux
Love their functional, modern cooking products. Their laundry is surprisingly good. Company rebounded after a refrigerator fiasco by actually taking care of aggrieved customers. Smart long term move.
- Strengths: Laundry, Induction, Modern Styling, Intuitive controls
- Weaknesses: Built-in Refrigeration
6 - Bosch
With the launch of Benchmark, Bosch wants to be a company known for more than just a dishwasher. They are stylish, affordable and most importantly reliable.
- Strengths: Dishwasher, Benchmark, styling
- Weaknesses: Very limited refrigerator offerings
5 - Jenn-Air
Whirlpool invested 300 million dollars reanimating Jenn-Air. The features for the pro ranges, wall ovens and packages are the best for the money in the industry.
- Strengths: Packages, wall ovens, pro ranges, cooking
- Weaknesses: Slide-ins need to be revamped (will be August 2014)
4 - Miele
Miele is the most reliable appliance company in the industry and is still produced in one tightly controlled factory in Germany. They are about to launch pro ranges later this year. Serious jump for a niche company.
- Strengths: Reliability, dishwasher, wall oven
- Weaknesses: No packages ever, Not in the Pro range market (will be shortly), Refrigeration is good but sourced from Thermador, No slide-in products
Read more: Best Miele Dishwashers
3 - Gaggenau
Incredibly stylish, but very reliable, Gaggenau sets the standard for city chic. It is designed by Bang & Olufsen and even has a handless touch control oven.
- Strengths: Unbelievably cool product
- Weaknesses: Cool…but limited
Read more: Side Swing Wall Ovens
2 - Thermador
So many of their new products are state of the art. The Freedom all burner induction cooktop and pro range with steam ovens are just two examples. Thermador is reasonably priced for ultra premium and incredibly reliable as well.
- Strengths: Maybe the best value in luxury appliances, Induction, pro ranges, wall ovens and cooktops, incredibly reliable as well
- Weaknesses: No Slide-ins
1 - Sub-Zero & Wolf
Sub-Zero invented professional refrigeration for the home and has spent most of the last 40 years improving it with Air scrubbers, water filters and LED lighting. Wolf has twin convection and great cooking modes.
- Strengths: The name sells, Great technologically advanced refrigeration, Twin convection for even heating in the stoves
- Weaknesses: Some cooking needs to be updated (and will be), No slide-ins
Read more: New Sub-Zero Integrated Refrigerator Columns
My goal has always been simple: I want Yale to be the best retail experience anywhere. I have tried to create a compelling environment for customers and employees alike
A Note About Pricing