The average dishwasher sold at Yale is roughly $695, but you can still buy a decent dishwasher under $600.
I would look at rebates, because the changes can influence your purchase. This list of recommendations is for September 2015, but that could differ by month.
The best time to buy a dishwasher is usually a holiday like President's Day, Memorial Day, Tax Free Weekend, Veterans Day or Black Friday. Appliances have become more promotional like electronics in that regard.
First, I will show you the differences between an American and European dishwasher, then show you a few models and then make suggestions.
American vs. European Dishwashers
- American dishwashers have a large capacity. The door will protrude 2-3 inches from a 24’’ deep cabinet to accommodate a greater capacity than many American-style models.
- European dishwashers will sit flush in a 24’’ deep cabinet. This is an attractive feature because the door will not protrude from the cabinets. If you are placing a panel on the front of your dishwasher in a 24’’ deep cabinet I would strongly advise that you choose a European model, so that the cabinet door will line up with your remaining cabinetry
- American dishwashers usually use a heated dry cycle. The heated dry cycle is a coil at the bottom of the dishwasher designed to heat the air inside the dishwasher to dry the dishes.
- European dishwashers use less energy and water than American dishwashers. On average the European dishwasher will use 3.5 gallons of water per cycle, European dishwashers use condensation to dry the dishes.Hot water from the cycle will stick to the stainless steel sides of the dishwasher. The dishwasher does not use any energy to heat the air in the dishwasher to dry dishes.
- European dishwashers are known for being very quiet. They are quiet because they have a filter at the bottom of the dishwasher designed to catch food particles instead of a hard food disposer at the bottom of some American models. Note: More and more American models are moving away from having a disposer on the bottom and using a filter like the European.
Frigidaire is part of the Electrolux company since the 1990s. Frigidaire is a feature oriented machine, but surprisingly reliable. It is one of our top 7 most reliable brands sold at Yale.
- Fits-More Capacity: Our large capacity, tall-tub dishwasher fits up to 14 place settings so you can wash even more at once.
- SpaceWise(R) Silverware Basket: There's a place for all of your silverware in our multi-compartment, removable basket.
- Polymer Tub
- High Temperature Wash
- Built with American Pride: Designed, engineered and assembled in the U.S.A. Appliances that are high-performing, more accessible, and more innovative than ever.
- 2-4-6 Hour Delay Start: Set your dishwasher to run on your schedule.
- Filtration: Removable Stainless Steel Filter
- NSF(R) Certified: Sanitize cycle removes 99.9% of common household bacteria.
- Energy Saver Dry Option: No heat dry option.
- ENERGY STAR
- 5 Wash Cycle Options
- Ready-Select(R) Controls: Easily select options with the touch of a button.
- Low-Rinse Aid Indicator Light
- Control Lock Option
Amana became part of Whirlpool in 2003. Their dishwasher is integrated with the controls on the top. The look is much cleaner.
- Save Money and Energy
- Triple Filter Wash System
- SoilSense Cycle
- SofSound(TM) Technology II
- Fully Integrated Console With LED Display
- Sani Rinse Cycle
- 12-Place Setting Capacity
- 24 Hour Delay Start Option
- Electronic Controls
- Heated Dry Option
- 1-Hour Wash Cycle
- High Temperature Wash Option
- ENERGY STAR(R) Qualified
Bosch is a dishwasher company and operates the largest dishwasher manufacturing facility in the world in North Carolina. They have a stainless tank and are amongst the quietest dishwashers produced.
- 50 dBA- Quietest Dishwasher Brand.
- Saves up to 280 gallons of water each year
- Self-Latching Door Stays Put and Latches
- Delicate Wash for Fine China
- Stainless Steel TallTub w/ *PP
- Silver Colored Fascia in Stainless Steel
- Red Remaining Time Display
- 6 Wash Cycles and 2 Options
- Sanitize Option eliminates bacteria and enhances drying results
- Variable Spray Pressure
- 279 kwh/yr - Energy Star(R)
- Exceeds ENERGY STAR Requirements for Water by 69%
- EcoSense Reduces Energy Usage by up to 20%
- Bosch Exclusive 24/7 Overflow Leak Protection
- 3 h, 6 h, 9 h Delay Start Timer
- Express Wash - In 30 Minutes or Less
- 14 Place Setting Capacity
- 300 Series Racks
- Manual Height Adjustment for Upper Rack
- Long Silverware Basket
Whirlpool is the largest appliance manufacturer in the US. They were the original manufacturer of Kenmore and have several models below $600.
- Sensor Cycle
- AnyWare Plus Silverware Basket
- 1-Hour Wash Cycle
- No One Has Fewer Repairs 18 Years in a Row
- ENERGY STAR(R) qualified
- Sani Rinse Option
- Remembers Your Last Cycle
- Normal Cycle
- Heavy Cycle
- High Temp Wash
- Heated Dry
- Soak And Clean Cycle
- Designed, Engineered and Assembled in the U.S.A. with American Pride
What dishwasher would I advise a client to go with? It depends on what features you like.
Are you looking for a flush look and a stainless interior? I would suggest the Bosch. Aesthetically the dishwasher will not stick out from the cabinetry and fit flush in a 24” deep cabinet. Also the stainless steel interior not only looks nice but it is germ and odor resistant unlike the plastic polymer tubs.
Is drying a major factor in your dishwasher purchase? I would suggest the Frigidaire, Amana, or Whirlpool. All three have an exposed heating element on the bottom of the dishwasher which aids in the drying process. Bosch uses steam from the washing along with Jet Dry.
Are you looking for an integrated control panel? I would suggest the Amana which has the controls on the top and gives the dishwasher a nice clean stainless front.
There are plenty of good dishwashers under $600. Just be mindful of rebates, time the purchase properly and you will end up with a very good dishwasher.
Looking for more information on dishwashers? Get the Yale Dishwasher Buyers Guide with complete breakdowns of all the brands and features. Well over 110,000 people have read a Yale Guide.