At a Glance
There are several excellent front load washers available from brands like LG, Whirlpool, and Maytag (made by Whirlpool, by the way).
GE and Samsung are also decent considerations and should be on your list, but these companies differ in so many ways.
Both have a different marketing approach to laundry, in general, and produce different front load washers.
Front Load Washers at Yale Appliance in Hanover
In this article, you will learn the best front load washers to consider from both brands as well as models you may want to avoid.
You will also better understand reliability based on 35,256 service calls logged by our service department last year.
You will see recommendations for both companies based on features, price, and how you use your washing machine.
Let’s get started.Short on time? Get our free Washing Machine Buying Guide
Haier purchased GE in 2017. They revamped the GE appliance product line.
Their whole washer and dryer line up are completely new.
GE has its unique features based on antimicrobial, anti-mold technology.
They coated the gasket, hoses, and other parts of the washer with Microban to resist mold, bacteria, and mildew.
Microban is so effective it is used on diaper changing tables in public places like Museums and libraries.
I know this personally as a Father of a toddler who loves the Boston Public Library and Children’s Museum. I know it all too well.
They also added a vent to dry the gasket called Odorblock.
GE Front Load Washers To Avoid
GE only has four full-size models in its lineup. The top two are their most popular.
As you will see, Samsung is the total opposite because their lesser expensive models are more popular.
- Time Saver
- Extended Tumble
- Sanitize with Oxi
- Bulky/Bedding cycle
- My Cycle
- Adaptive Vibration Control
- EnergyStar qualified
- UltraFresh Vent System With OdorBlock
- Microban antimicrobial technology
- Built-in Wi-Fi
- Sanitize with Oxi
- Dynamic Balancing Technology (dBT)
- Reversible Door
- Quick Wash Cycle
- 10-year Limited Warranty
Both of these models are OK for the price, but the two best have many more features and are not that much more expensive.
The GFW430 model doesn’t have its antimicrobial Microban and is slightly smaller than GE’s other models at 4.5 cubic feet.
The 550 model is the same size as the top two models at 4.8 cubic feet has Microban and Odorblock but lacks the 32-load dispenser, steam, and two cycles for only $50 less.
GE’s two best front load washers are the GFW650SSNWW and GFW850SSNWW.
Best GE Front Load Washers
- 4.8 cu. ft.
- UltraFresh Vent System
- Energy Star
- 5.0 cu. ft.
- 12 Wash Cycles
- Steam Cycle
- Sanitize Cycle
- Allergy Cycle
Both have the dispenser, Microban technology, and steam, but the 850 is larger at five cubic feet and offers the wash and dry cycle for smaller loads.
GE Smart Front Load Laundry Review [VIDEO]
Samsung is the number 1 most sold single brand in the US. They were the first to introduce technology and better design in the once stodgy appliance industry.
Technology has served them well with such innovations as the Flex Duo oven, 4-door refrigerators, and FamilyHub internet-ready refrigeration.
In the laundry, it may be a bit of an overreach.
Samsung Front Load Washers to Avoid
Most of these are highly innovative. I love the concepts, but they just are not popular due to the much higher price.
- FlexWash - Wash separate loads at the same time
- 5.5 cu. ft. Total Capacity - Fewer washes save you time.
- FlexWash - Wash separate loads at the same time
- 6.0 cu. ft. Total Capacity - Fewer washes save you time.
These machines are a great idea. You have two distinct washers in one. You can wash a small load up top and a large load in the front.
- First, you pay a ton of money for only .5 to 1 cubic feet of $200-350.
- Secondly, you cannot stack the Flex because of the second washer.
- Super Speed
- 14 Preset Wash Cycles
- 12 Wash Options
- 1,300 RPM
- Smart Care
For anyone who has ever started a washer only to find you had other items to add, the AddWash is another great idea.
The second smaller door allows you to add that sock without stopping and then restarting the washer.
However, most people are comfortable with stopping and starting the machines and paying $150 less.
The Addwash may have had its day and is only available in Black Stainless. Typically if a brand stops producing white in the laundry, it’s only a matter of time.
Best Samsung Front Load Washers
- 4.5 cu. ft.
- 1200 RPM
- Steam Option
- 10 Cycles
The Samsung front load washer WF45T6200AW deserves serious consideration for the price.
It’s not as large at 4.5 cubic feet and doesn’t have Wi-Fi capabilities.
However, it has usable features with ten cycles, including steam and speed.
At $649, it’s $100-150 less than the average price of a front load washer.
Samsung Front Load Washer WF50R8500AW - $899
- Super Speed
- 5.0 Cu. Ft. Capacity
- VRT Plus Technology (Noise reduction)
This Samsung washer is reputed to be extremely quiet. Samsung claims it's 40% quieter due to VRT noise reduction in the chassis.
With it's Super Speed feature, you can wash a full-load in 30 minutes.
You also have WIFI in this machine with the ability to stop/start the machine and see time remaining.
GE Vs. Samsung Smart Front Load Washers
This is an unusual comparison because we are comparing GE’s best machine to Samsung’s equivalent. Yet the Samsung is not currently available.
What GE and Samsung washers have in common:
Both are loaded with cycles and options.
- Twelve Cycles - Both machines have five speeds and multiple water levels as well.
- Wi-Fi Control - You can see the time remaining on your washer via an app on your phone. That means no more trudging to your basement to find 2 minutes left for the wash. I live in a walk up and wish I had it.
- 5.0 Cu. Ft. Capacity - The average capacity of a front-load is 4.3-4.6 cubic feet, so both are slightly larger.
- Sound Packages - Both have advanced sound packages to reduce noise as well.
- Steam Cycles - Samsung and GE incorporate steam in their washers to gently power out stains.
- Speed Cycles - Both have fast wash cycles in as little as 30 minutes for full loads.
Differences between Samsung and GE washers:
For the same price, GE offers more usable features.
- Smart Dispense - You can preload up to 50 ounces or 32 loads of detergent into the dispenser. It automatically dispenses the right amount of detergent. Many times service problems start by adding too much detergent.
The oversudsing eventually eats away at the bearings of the motor for an expensive service call. You only need a capful of detergent in a front load.
- One Touch Wash and Dry - You can wash and dry a small load in the GE washer. Have a favorite outfit? It will wash, rinse, and spin all night to be dry and ready to wear in the morning.
- Reversible Door - Every machine should be reversible, especially in tight laundry rooms. Yet only Electrolux and GE offer this feature.
- Mold Control - GE is the only company to address mold and mildew with Microban and OdorBlock effectively.
Which is more reliable, GE or Samsung front load washers?
Most Reliable Front Load Washer Brands 2020 To Date
|Serviced Qty||Shipped Qty||Service Ratio|
Samsung and GE are both excellent. The average major appliance needs service about 13.4% of the time. Both are well below that number.
They may differ in how they handle problems.
Samsung has no service of its own, and that can be a problem in certain areas. Many people have commented on this blog about the poor or lack of appliance repair.
GE, on the other hand, has its own technicians to fix issues. In my experience, factory service is a mixed bag depending on the technician.
In fairness to GE, Haier has improved every aspect of GE. I would think their service would be better as well.
Then again, I wouldn’t know. We service what we sell.
Samsung Front Load Laundry Learning Center at Yale Appliance in Hanover
Both are great machines with good reliability. As usual, you should check service availability in your area.
At the same price of $899, GE is more compelling, offering a better dispenser, mildew and mold control, plus a reversible door.
However, at $649, Samsung offers a great, fully-featured washer at a more attractive price.
Download our Yale Washer Buying Guide with all the features, terms and brands of laundry. Over 820,000 people have already found answers in a Yale guide.
My goal has always been simple: I want Yale to be the best retail experience anywhere. I have tried to create a compelling environment for customers and employees alike.
A Note About Pricing