There seems to be two different types of 36 inch ranges in the high end. There are the traditional powerful stainless professional ranges from Wolf, Thermador, Viking and Jenn-Air ...
However, there is another type of range gaining in popularity. This type of product is based on style from companies such as AGA, Bertazzoni and La Cornue.
We will look at the differences between Thermador and the 36 inch La Cornue CornuFe, both the products and the companies.
Thermador was the first American premium appliance manufacturer and remains one of the top brands in the appliance industry. Founded in 1916, from its inception Thermador has been in the cooking forefront, introducing many of the industry’s firsts throughout the years including wall ovens, downdrafts and cooktops.
In 1998, the Thermador Corporation was acquired by the multinational BSH Company, becoming the premium line in Bosch’s portfolio and is consistently one of the most reliable brands sold at Yale.
Thermador PRD366GHU 36" Range
Thermador 36" Pro Range With Optional Backguard
- Exclusive, patented Star Burner - most even heating, unsurpassed flame coverage
- Every burner 18,000 BTU (NG)
- Precision simmering capabilities as low as 100°F (375 BTU) with 2 ExtraLow Simmer burners
- Widest range of simmer options from 375 BTU to 3,000 BTU
- Powerful 8-pass bake and broil elements in large oven
- Third Element Convection offers precise airflow for cooking on multiple levels without flavor transfer
- Superfast 2-hour self-clean mode - fastest in the industry
- Bold Professional Design
- Truly Flush Mounted, 24" standard cabinet depth
- Patented Pedestal Star Burner with QuickClean Base™ feature
- Restaurant style metal knobs
- Professional style, continuous cast iron grates
- Continuous porcelain, easy to clean cooking surface
- Massive oven capacity of 5.0 cu. ft.
- Six rack levels for multiple item cooking
- Full Access telescopic racks, integrated easy-grip handle
- Star design delivers superior heat spread for any size pan
- Simmer without stirring/scorching with exclusive ExtraLow
- QuickClean Base™ feature designed for easy surface cleaning
- Extended Bake Oven Mode ideal for slow cooking or Sabbath use
- Electronic oven control ensures precise heating
- Large oven door window for maximum viewing
- Powerful halogen lighting illuminates the oven cavity
- 36" units ship standard with island trim included
La Cornue is a French luxury oven and cooking range manufacturer, known for its very high-quality ranges. Founded in 1908, it was Albert Dupuy's desire to create an oven that used a new type of natural gas, being used in Paris at the time. By taking advantage of the circulation of hot air within the oven along with its concave interior, he was able to produce a natural convection with better baking results.
In 2005, the 36 inch CornueFe Series was created. These units are available in eight colors with three trim combinations.
LaCornue CornuFé 90 36" Range
- 1 17,500 BTU Central Burner
- 3 12,000 BTU Burners
- 1 6,000 BTU Simmer Burner (down to 600 BTU)
- Solid Brass Enamel-Capped Burners with Thermocouple
- La Cornue’s signature grand vaulted oven features an exposed electric broiler and 22,000 BTU in Natural or Propane Gas Natural convection heat created by patented vaulted shape; perfect for roasting
- 3 Rack Positions
- Interior Oven Dimensions: 23.6 W x 19.7 H x 11.8 D in = 3.2 cubic feet
- Oven Accessories: One Flat Rack, One Pastry Tray, One Mauviel Roasting Pan with trivet
- Voltage: 240v; 60Hz, 11 AMP
- Intensity: 11A (15 AMP circuit)
- Natural gas range with propane conversion kit included
- High-Altitude Kit required for elevations above 5,000 feet
- Eight Body Colors: Gloss Black, Matte Black, Stainless Steel, Ivory, Pure White, Dark Navy Blue, Royal Blue and Provence Blue
- Three Trim Options: Stainless Steel with Satin Chrome accents, Stainless Steel with Polished Brass accents, Stainless Steel with Polished Copper accents
La Cornue vs. Thermador Pro Range Comparison
Which is Better?
Thermador has a larger oven capacity and more powerful burners. It features six star burners providing better pan coverage with each having 18,000 BTUs. Two of these burners can simmer as low as 100 degrees. Its sleek, professional appearance is classic. It is also less expensive and offers a free dishwasher as well.
La Cornue is almost the anti pro range. It does not have the power or capacity of the Thermador. However, it is available in 8 different colors with three different trim styles.
In other words it will look different.
Natural convection is the other main benefit. The oven keeps consistent temperature without using a fan.
I think you are either predisposed to one range or the other, because they are so very different.
So is it power? Or style?
Get the Yale Professional Range Buyers Guide with features, specs and inside tips to all the brands. Over 85,000 people have read a Yale Guide.
Why Should You Trust Us?
It seems that every appliance review has nothing but glowing comments about almost every product, yet you read customer reviews and they are almost universally bad.
We are here to fill in the disconnect. We'll give you the best features, and the drawbacks as well, including reliability based on over 37,000 calls performed by our service team just last year. Our goal is to give you ALL the information so you know what's right for you.
Please consider subscribing or adding to the conversation in the comments below. We appreciate you stopping by.