Editor's Note: I was asked about a range called Thor. There are a bunch of ranges imported from China, namely NXR and Thor. They have good features but the build quality, especially in the ovens, is not that good. Always look carefully at the product before you buy it.
You do not have to buy an off brand range for a competitive price. Sure, Wolf, Miele, and other dual fuel ranges can be $8-10,000, but an all gas Thermador, Jenn-Air, and BlueStar are much less.
We will look at all three ranges and then compare them.Short on time? Get our free Pro Cooking Buying Guide
JGRP436WP - $5699
- 5,000 BTU Simmer Burner
- (2) 20K BTU, (3) 15K BTU
- 7-Inch Full-Color Touch-Anywhere LCD Display
- Auto Convection Conversion
- Six Sealed Burners
- Electronic Ignition and Flame-Sensing™ Re-ignition
- If the flame is accidentally blown out by a draft, a spark occurs that automatically re-ignites the extinguished burner.
- 5.1 Cu. Ft. Oven Capacity
Jenn-Air is the premium brand of Whirlpool Corp. Whirlpool acquired Jenn-Air on 2006 and re branded the company. They focused Jenn-Air back to their old ways, which was known for the premium cooking products in the 90’s.
Whirlpool first task was to recreate a desirable professional range. This unit has very good output with 2 20,000 BTU burners (you are probably cooking on about (12-14,000 BTU).
You can also buy their chromium infused griddle with 4 burners. Chromium is by far the easiest to clean.
Of the three, this unit has a clock and timer, along with convection conversion. You can convert your regular recipes to convection with a touch of a button.
The oven is twin versus single fan convection for even heat and it is the only self-cleaning oven of the three. You also receive a free Jenn-Air dishwasher with this range.
PRG364GH - $6249
- Star Burner - most even heating, unsurpassed flame coverage
- Every burner 18,000 BTU (NG)
- Precision simmering capabilities as low as 100°F (375 BTU) with 2 ExtraLow Simmer burners
- Superior griddle results: 6-pass, 1,630-watt electric griddle
- Grill accessory is thermostatically controlled for even heating
- Powerful, 27,000 BTU bake and 20,000 BTU broil burners
- Convection Bake offers precise multi-level baking results
- Massive oven capacity of 5.0 cu.ft.
- Full Access telescopic racks, integrated easy-grip handle
- Titanium surface non-stick, rustproof cast-aluminum griddle
- Removable griddle and grill accessory for easy clean-up
Thermador is the luxury brand of Bosch (B/S/H) appliance group. They have made their name with their Star Burner.
All their burners are 18,000 BTUs, but two have a low intermittent simmer at 100 BTUs. It is the lowest in the industry. You can melt chocolate easily without burning it.
The Star is raised so it is also the easiest to clean.
Although their oven is single convection and not self-cleaning, they feature an infrared burner. Infrared is a focused, straight down heat for better broiling and searing.
You also receive a free dishwasher with the purchase of their range. That's pretty great.
RCS36SBV2 - $3999
- Sealed burner design with up to 21,000 BTUs of power
- Precise simmer burner
- Extra-large convection oven with 1850° infrared broiler that accommodates a full size 18" x 26" commercial baking sheet
- 24” depth for compatibility with standard kitchen cabinetry
- Handcrafted in Pennsylvania since 1880
BlueStar is a family-owned company in the range and refrigeration business. At 21,000 BTUs, this is amongst the most powerful sealed burner ranges you can buy. The broiler is a scorching 1,850 degrees and can fit a commercial baking sheet.
BlueStar is the only pure convection gas oven, so the heat is projected from the back for evenness of temperature.
What Should You Buy?
How do you cook? If you want some control and power, Jenn-Air is a good option plus it is self-cleaning.
Thermador has an unbelievable simmer and probably the best overall burner for cleaning, output, and simmering.
BlueStar is powerful for output and is the best unit of the three for broiling.
Want to learn more about professional gas ranges? Download our free Pro Cooking Buying guide for up to date information on all the best features and brands. Well over 250,000 people have read a Yale Guide.
Danny Nguyen is an Appliance Sales Consultant at Yale Appliance + Lighting. Danny has completed 2 half marathons and enjoys spending time travelling and snowboarding.
Schedule a showroom visit with me
A Note About Pricing