Pellet, charcoal, and gas BBQ grills each have their merits.
Pellet grills can cook, smoke, and add flavor with different types of pellets. However, you can set precise temperatures but at a max temperature of 450-500 degrees, you cannot cook quickly or char and sear meats.
Traeger TFB57PUB - $799
Charcoal adds flavor and texture. However, you have to add charcoal and clean up after each use. The temperature is also not as easy to regulate or control.
Weber Summit Charcoal 18501001 - $1,999
Gas is the fastest to sear and char. It is the easiest to control, but you do not have the same flavor and texture as the charcoal or pellet cookers.
Weber 61000001 - $799
So, the best grill would combine the speed of gas, flavor, and texture of charcoal and wood.
Kalamazoo is that grill. You will learn a bit about their grill in this article and video below.
Features of Kalamazoo BBQ Grills
Kalamazoo is made in Michigan. It is strictly made to order.
The main features are:
- The Hybrid Drawer allows you to add wood and charcoal above the gas, infusing the food with flavor.
- The burners are powerful at 25,000 BTU, so you have speed, flavor, and texture.
- Deep Well Design: Like a convection oven, this design allows for better airflow around the meat to cook thoroughly throughout.
- Grates: The grates are thicker and specially designed to cook different foods like veggies, meat, and fruit.
The downside to this grill is that it starts at over $14,000. However, for flavor, speed, and performance Kalamazoo is the best BBQ grill you can buy.
If you are interested, we would be happy to demo a Kalamazoo or any other grill. Just click on the chef link below.
Upcoming Live Grilling Demos
We cook with pellet, charcoal, and gas grills almost every weekend. Visit our Events page for more events, details, and times.
- Saturday May 19th, Boston Showroom – Live Grilling with GrillMaster Doug Keiles from Ribs Within BBQ
- Sunday May 20th, Framingham Showroom – Live Grilling with GrillMaster Doug Keiles from Ribs Within BBQ
Download our BBQ Buying Guide with features and ratings of all the major brands. Over 300,000 people have already found answers in a Yale guide.
Editor's Note: This article was originally published on May 24, 2012 and has been updated for accuracy, freshness, and comprehensiveness.
My goal has always been simple: I want Yale to be the best retail experience anywhere. I have tried to create a compelling environment for customers and employees alike.
A Note About Pricing