You do not have to spend a ton of money for good looking appliances. It's quite the opposite, especially over the last 5 years. KitchenAid has a whole new look. Bosch has a new refrigerator. Samsung is now the number 1 brand in the US because of their beautiful design and advanced technology. Jenn-Air still has their most popular full-featured package around $5,000.
So we will look at each companies' packages between $3,000-4999 (prices change throughout the year) but first, let us define what affordable luxury is and then compare it to luxury.
Affordable Luxury is defined as well designed, yet affordable products available to many rather than just the luxury few.
In appliances, it can be defined as a better French door refrigerator rather than a basic top mount or side-by-side refrigerator. The stove on a few is a slide-in convection range versus say a freestanding range with a backguard, yet they are all convection for more even cooking.
The dishwasher is quiet and an over-the-range microwave is included.
Affordable Luxury vs. Luxury Appliances
Luxury appliances differ in terms of looks and function. The refrigerator can be paneled or with the compressor on the top, and you can buy a professional range or wall oven and cooktop. However, a luxury Sub-Zero/Wolf kitchen is $23,000 versus $5,000 for an Affordable Luxury model. Let's take a look at your best options.
Package pricing updated for August 2017Short on time? Get our free Appliance Buying Guide
Samsung Counter Depth Kitchen - Electric $3,999 - Gas $4,499
(after $150 in rebates)
- 36" 23 cubic ft. Counter-depth flex refrigerator
- 30" Electric freestanding range with convection
- Dishwasher with stainless steel tub, stainless front
- 8 cubic ft over-the-range microwave
Highlights: The 4 door refrigerator. The right-hand compartment can be a freezer or refrigerator.
KitchenAid Basic Kitchen - Electric $3,999 - Gas $4,099
(after $308 in rebates)
- 5 Element electric convection range
- 25 cubic ft. Standard depth refrigerator
- 6 cycle, pocket handle dishwasher with stainless steel tub
- 1000w over-the-range stainless steel microwave
Highlights: A large 25 cubic foot French door and a 5 burner convection range.
Bosch Basic Slide-in Kitchen Package - Electric $4,549 - Gas $4,629
(after $307 in rebates)
- 36" Counter depth refrigerator with double freezer drawers
- 30" Slide-in electric convection range with warming drawer
- Stainless steel dishwasher with adjustable racks, scoop handle, stainless steel
- 30" 1000w Over-the-range microwave, 300cfm fan
Highlights: Bosch is stylish. Their double drawer refrigerator is counter-depth.
Bosch Slide-in Kitchen Upgrade Package - Electric $4,399 - Gas $4,489 (after $1,360 in rebates)
- 30" slide-in electric range with convection
- 36" French door counter depth refrigerator, double freezer drawers, hidden controls
- 800 series dishwasher, 40db, stainless steel
- 500 series microwave, 1100 watts
Highlights: Similar as the previous Bosch but with a better dishwasher.
KitchenAid Upgrade Kitchen - Electric $4,599 - Gas $4,699
(after $597 in rebates)
- 30" electric convection range, 5 elements
- 36" 20 cubic ft counter depth French door refrigerator, stainless steel, internal water dispenser
- 39db stainless steel dishwasher with Pro Scrub option
- 30" Over-the-range microwave
Highlights: First, a counter-depth refrigerator so it will not protrude into your kitchen. Second, a dishwasher that could be the quietest in the market at 39 dBs. (Click here to listen to a quiet dishwasher).
Jenn-Air Double Oven Package - Electric $4,796 - Gas $5,196
(after $1,600 in rebates)
- 30" slide-in electric range with baking drawer and convection oven
- 36" Counter depth French door refrigerator with internal water dispenser
- 30" Over-the-range microwave, 400cfm fan
- Stainless steel dishwasher with stainless steel tub
Highlights: This is a great package. The range is the largest in the industry and has two ovens. You have a counter-depth refrigerator with an interior water dispenser.
The microwave is also convection so it can be used as an oven, microwave or both to save time without sacrificing food quality. The dishwasher is integrated with hidden controls.
Frigidaire Professional Package - Electric $6,399 - Gas $6,499 (after $171 in rebates)
- Freestanding front control, electric convection range
- Convection over the range microwave
- 22 cubic foot counter depth refrigerator with ice and water through the door
- Stainless steel interior integrated control dishwasher
So, which of these similar packages do you buy?
It all depends on what you value. Counter depth is aesthetically better because it fits within your cabinets without protruding into your kitchen. However, you lose some cubic footage in your kitchen.
You will like a slide-in because your backsplash will be uninterrupted by the ranges back guard. Focus on the refrigerator and stove because there is nominal difference between the dishwashers and microwaves.
In terms of packages, Jenn-Air offers the most with three ovens, the counter-depth refrigerator, and the slide-in range. As for Samsung and Bosch, they are more stylish.
But all are excellent options.
Need some help on appliances? Download the Yale Appliance Buying Guide with features, specs, detailed profiles of the major brands and the answers to the top 10 appliance questions in a kitchen. Well over 220,000 people have read a Yale Guide.
My goal has always been simple: I want Yale to be the best retail experience anywhere. I have tried to create a compelling environment for customers and employees alike
A Note About Pricing