At a Glance
- What's The Difference Between Side-By-Side And
French Door Counter Depth Refrigerators?
- Best Side-By-Side Counter Depth
Refrigerators For 2020
- Which Side-By-Side Refrigerator Should I Buy?
- Frequently Asked Questions
So, you've decided to buy a side-by-side counter depth refrigerator instead of the French door style.
French doors are more popular, but side-by-sides have good features that are often overlooked, too.
The four best side-by-side counter depth refrigerators for 2020 are:
- Samsung Side-By-Side Counter Depth Refrigerator RS22HDHPNSR
- KitchenAid Side-By-Side Counter Depth Refrigerator KRSC703HPS
- LG Side-By-Side Counter Depth Refrigerator LSXC22396D
- Bosch Side-By-Side Counter Depth Refrigerator B20CS30SNS
In this article, we'll cover everything from the best side-by-side refrigerators you should consider to the differences between the more popular French door and side-by-side refrigerator styles.
We'll also look at reliability based on actual service calls. We performed over 100,000 service calls over the last three years.
Let's first start with the major differences between side-by-side and French door Counter Depth refrigerators.
Side-By-Side Vs French Door Counter Depth Refrigerators
The major differences between side-by-side and French door counter depth refrigerators are:
French door refrigerators s will give you more overall space.
side-by-side 1.43 Refrigerator 7.2 Freezer
French door 15.7 Refrigerator 6.9 freezer
A side-by-side will be cheaper from $300-1200 depending on the brand. Black Friday and other promotional holidays can radically change the price for both.
A side-by-side may be more organized top to bottom, but French doors allow for more lateral space for trays and platters.
Side-by-sides have LG’s InstaView door or Door-in-Door as well as twin cold environments. However, French doors have the most up to date cooling technologies. Have a look:
|Side-By-Side Counter Depth Refrigerators||French Door Counter Depth Refrigerators|
|Total Units Serviced in 2019||29||916|
|Total Units Sold in 2019||279||2933|
|Total Service Ratio in 2019||10.39%||31.23%|
Side-by-sides are more reliable yet we sold more French door counter depth refrigerators.
French doors have their dispensers on the refrigerator. Ice cubes in a warmer environment tend to leak, whereas the dispenser on the side-by-side does not.
Now, let’s look at the best side-by-side refrigerators to consider.
Best Side-By-Side Counter Depth Refrigerators For 2020
- 22.3 cu. Ft. Large Capacity - holds about 22 bags of grocery
- Twin Cooling - maintains the separate temperature to create the perfect climate for refrigerator and freezer. Higher humanity temperature allows fruits and vegetables to stay fresher, and drier air in the freezer prevents freezer burns
- LED interior lights = Super bright allowing best visual to see everything inside
- Automatic In-Door Ice Maker - creates more space for freezer storage, and easier access to remove ice bin for cleaning
- Energy Star rated - meets today's strict government energy standard
Samsung Refrigerator Highlights
Samsung has the best counter depth side-by-side for a few reasons.
Samsung's twin cooling feature consists of two evaporators, so your slightly warmer refrigerator doesn’t mix with the colder, drier freezer air.
The Showcase Door allows you to access your refrigerator items easily.
In terms of reliability, Samsung is statistically the most reliable refrigerator. However, it's tough to find service in certain areas, so ask before you buy it.
2. KitchenAid Side-By-Side Counter Depth Refrigerator KRSC703HPS - $2,789
- 22.6 cu ft- most storage for food in counter depth side by class
- PrintShield Ss - prevent fingerprint smudges on stainless steel doors
- Counter-depth designed - Zero door clearance allowing easy door swing with walls
- Measured Water Filled - 3 perfect programmed to ensure proper pouring, along with two custom measurement of choice
KitchenAid Refrigerator Highlights
The tallest counter depth refrigerator in its class with the most capacity 22.6 cu ft. At 72 inches in height, it towers on all refrigerators, which demands a strong presence for attention.
Best well known for its “Preserva® Food Care System," which has a dual evaporator to distinguish between freezer and refrigerator cooling temperature to keep food at its best state.
“Produce Preserver” features are built to absorb ethylene gas to slow down fruits from ripening too soon. “Fresh Flow Air Filter” features to reduce odor transfer from food to food.
15x more effective than household baking soda to help maintain food freshness for a longer time.
- 22 Cu. Ft. Capacity
- InstaView Door-in-Door®
- SmartThinQ® Technology
- Counter-Depth Refrigerators
- Slim SpacePlus® Ice System
LG Refrigerator Highlights
LG is probably the most technologically advanced refrigerator. It has the Inst a View Door. Tap twice, and you can see inside the fridge. Like Samsung, you have the inside door, so you can easily access milk, juices, and most commonly used items without opening the whole door.
LG is another company with great products and a few service providers. You need to ask before you buy.
- Multi Airflow System - fan deliveries even distributed flow to all parts of the refrigerator, and freezer
- SuperCooling - Use this feature to get long car rides from grocery back to perfect temperature state to the refrigerator.
- SuperFreezer - ensure no frost built up and freezer burns when adding new food to the freezer. It allows new food to freeze faster.
- LED Lightning - Ensure all angles of the refrigerator to have proper lighting in all bins.
Bosch Refrigerator Highlights
The best feature is super cool, and freezing brings food back to its average temperature faster than any other refrigerators. Bosch multi airflows carry proper air throughout the refrigerator to ensure perfect food quality to prolong freshness.
OK, Bosch is an average refrigerator. It becomes more attractive with package discounts. Along with Samsung, Bosch has excellent stoves and dishwashers.
Which Refrigerator Brand Is The Most Reliable?
Samsung is the most reliable. However, they have the least amount of support and available service techs.
Most Reliable Side-By-Side Counter Depth Refrigerators For 2020
|Units Serviced||Units Sold||Service Ratio|
|GE Appliances||0||1||0.00 %|
|Grand Total||29||279||10.39 %|
Which Side-By-Side Refrigerator Should I Buy?
There is no one answer to this. Builders buy the least featured counter depths because they look good and are less expensive.
If you are on a budget and replacing a unit, it is a good idea.
For packages, buy around holidays to maximize discounts and package rebates. Samsung and Bosch have the best overall package suites.
KitchenAid is OK. LG cooking needs work.
For the technologically savvy, look at Samsung and LG. Just be wary of service. For size, KitchenAid is a right choice.
Frequently Asked Questions About Refrigerators
1. What Is A Counter Depth Refrigerator?
A counter-depth refrigerator aligns perfectly with cabinets and countertops. Only the door sticks out to open and close. This gives your kitchen a clean look without the high end “built-in” refrigerator cost.
2. What's The Difference Between Standard Depth Vs. Counter-Depth Refrigerators?
Standard depth sticks out like a sore thumb. It is more apparent if you have an island or peninsula in front of it. You will see at least 5-7 inches in depth of the body of the refrigerator (not including door and handles) hangs out. It will protrude your walk space. But on the flip side, it gives you more storage space for food. It can be 10% more.
Counter-Depth will give you the “built-in” look, and aligns perfectly with cabinets. It gives you a good reason to buy what you can eat now, and shop again for freshness. You will notice the smaller interior on the shelves.
3. What's The Difference Between Counter Depth Vs. Integrated Vs. Professional Style Refrigerators?
Counter-depth tends to be less expensive and shorter than an integrated and professional style. The counter-depth body is usually 24” depth, and the door sticks out.
Integrated belongs to the higher end refrigerators. They are FLUSH with hidden doors. They are usually are covered with custom cabinets. They have the best look.
Professional style refrigerators tend to have massive round handles with bold stainless steel look. It comes in many depths, heights, and price points. Best suited if you want your kitchen to look like restaurant-style equipment.
4. Should I Buy A Black Stainless Steel Refrigerator?
Probably not. A black stainless steel finish is an oxidized coating. It's easily scratched leaving the shiny undercoat.
If you are considering black stainless steel, consider Bosch.
Bosch Black Stainless Steel Scratch Test [VIDEO]
Need more information on refrigerators? Get the Yale Counter Depth Refrigerator Buying Guide with features, specs and detailed profiles on all the major brands like Samsung, Jenn-Air, Thermador, KitchenAid and more. Well over 620,000 people have read a Yale Guide.
Danny Nguyen has over 17 years of experience at Yale Appliance. He takes pride in helping customers complete their dream kitchens. Danny enjoys eating, running, and competing in Spartan races. If he's not competing in a race, he is often traveling with his family.
A Note About Pricing