Swing arm lamps are very popular. It’s a great idea to install one on either side of your bed for reading. Instead of turning the main light fixture on and risk upsetting your spouse, you can just turn on the swing arm lamp and use that instead.
There are different types of light bulbs available for swing arm lamps. They are available in Halogen, Incandescent, Fluorescent, as well as LED.
LED is the most popular bulb for good reason. It uses a fraction of the energy of an incandescent bulb and will probably last 20 years, so you don't have to replace it. LED is also a cool bulb and lacks the heat emission of an incandescent.
The color quality of LED has vastly improved as has the selection of the lamps using this bulb.
Below are some options for LED Swing Arm Lamps.
Best LED Swing Arms For Bedside
George Kovacs LED Swing Arm Lamp - $132
- Model # P4328-077
- Adjustable to 23.5” total extension
- 8 watts (439 lumens) LED with ON/OFF Dimmer Switch
- Hardwired or Outlet Plug Connection
- Available in Chrome, Brushed Nickel, Honey Gold, Chocolate Chrome, and Copper Bronze Patina finishes
George Kovacs LED Swing Arm Lamp - $198
- Model # P266-1-084-L
- 12 watts Dimmable LED (815 Lumens)
- Adjustable to 36.5” total extension
- Can be installed as hard wire or plug in
- Available in Brushed Nickel and Bronze finish
George Kovacs LED Swing Arm Lamp - $220
- Model # P4511-647
- 8 Watts Dimmable LED (396 Lumens)
- Adjustable to 28.5” total extension
- Clear outer glass with frosted interior glass
- Can be hardwired or plugged in
- Available in Brushed Nickel and Copper Bronze Patina finishes
- Model # LED-30-OB
- 6.2 Watts of LED with 600 Lumens
- Extends to 22”
- Available in Oil Rubbed Bronze, Weathered Brass, and Satin Nickel finishes
- Direct wire only
- Model # G375-GT
- 5 Watts of LED with 320 Lumens
- Extends to 24.5”
- Available in Granite, White, Chestnut Bronze, and Black finishes
- Model # 2052.16
- Three brightness levels controlled by an optical sensor atop its low-profile head
- Includes a Dimmable 1 LED Flat Panel 6W bulb
- Available in Satin Aluminum, Gloss White, Black, and Red/Black/Yellow finishes
- Extends 33.5”
Swing arm lamps are a good way to provide focused lighting for reading or other tasks. It is incredibly convenient and utilitarian. Now with LED more mainstream, you have a decent selection of different styles.
Read our free Kitchen Lighting Buying Guide with design tips and reviews of the best lighting brands. Over 150,000 people have already found answers in a Yale guide.