Professional style ranges have a commercial look with cooktop and oven controls on the front. Many professional ranges come with a wide array of burner configurations, griddles, grills, and accessories. This article will address the most powerful 30’’ professional ranges in the appliance industry. Many people desire high BTU power for wok cooking, stir fries, or for searing meats.
Open vs. Sealed Burners
Gas ranges can either have sealed burners or open burners on the cooktop surface. The majority of professional ranges in the household appliance market have sealed burners meaning that the burner is sealed to the base of the cooktop for easy clean up. Open burners are more common in commercial settings such as restaurant kitchens because air underneath the burner gives it a very hot flame. Although many people like the open burner construction for searing purposes, it is difficult to clean because you have to clean the burner plus the components underneath.
The power of gas ranges is measured in British thermal units, more commonly referred to as BTU's. This unit measures the amount of heat for the surface burners.
Ten years ago, the average burner power was 10,000 to 12,000 BTUs on the high end.
The Most Powerful 30" Professional Gas Ranges
5. Wolf GR304 - $4569
Wolf is the second largest family owned appliance company in the world. They are known for producing high quality professional cooking products and their signature feature is the red knobs you see in many high-end cooking designs.
Wolf products are built in the United States with premium grade materials. They are also currently offering a rebate promotion with the purchase of this range, a Sub-Zero refrigerator, and other qualifying products up to $2,500.
Although Wolf has a fantastic simmer, their power burner only has a maximum of 15,000 BTUs
Total Power: 54,200
Power Burner: 15,000
- Dual stacked power burner is essentially two burners in one, bringing dish from a 15,000 BTU sear to a low simmer
- Signature red control knobs with infinite control
- 4.4 cubic ft gas convection oven with three adjustable oven racks
- Infrared broiler with ultra fast preheating
4. Viking RVGR3305BSS - $3,699
Viking is an American manufacturer in Greenwood, Mississippi. They are best known for their cooking products. They are the self-proclaimed industry leaders introducing commercial–type appliances into the home. Their products make a statement and have a distinct professional appearance. Viking was recently acquired by Middleby of Ohio, a commercial cooking supplier.
Viking has reconfigured their maximum burners at 18,000 (for 2). The new range also has a 12,000, 9,000 and 8,000 BTU burner.
Total Power: 65,000 BTU
Power Burner: 18,000 BTU
- Freestanding gas range with 5 sealed burners
- 4.0 cubic ft convection oven with self-cleaning
- Telescopic full extension oven racks to easily move heavy dishes in and out of the oven
- High performance cooking modes including broil, dehydrate, defrost
- Three year manufacturer's warranty
3. Thermador PRG304GH - $4149.99
Thermador is a brand owned by the BSH Corporation, one of the largest appliance manufacturers in Europe. BSH also owns the Bosch and Gaggenau appliance brands. Thermador is a premium appliance brand with easily recognized star burner cooking products
Thermador periodically runs very good package promotions, so if you are looking for a new kitchen you may want to consider this brand. At this time, if you purchase a Thermador range you will receive a free dishwasher and then if you purchase Thermador refrigeration you will receive a free hood.
If you are looking for power, then consider this range with all 18,000 BTU burners. Great simmer as well.
Total Power: 72,000 BTU
Power Burner: 18,000 BTU
- Four sealed star burners that can all reach 18,000 BTU sear and reduce to a 375 BTU simmer
- Star burner construction covers 40% more of your pans to heat your pans quickly and evenly
- Range can be mounted counter depth in a standard 24’’ cabinet
- 4.4 cubic ft oven with full access telescopic racks to easily move heavy dishes in and out of the oven
- Convection baking offers precise multi-level baking results
- Free dishwasher after purchase of Thermador pro range
2. Jenn-Air JGRP430WP - $3,999
Jenn-Air is part of the Whirlpool Corporation (along with KitchenAid, Maytag, Whirlpool and Amana), the largest household appliance manufacturer in the world. Jenn-Air is the Whirlpool Corporation’s premium appliance brand. It is known for producing affordable luxury and professional products. Jenn-Air produces a semi-professional range that is available in both all gas and dual fuel.
I like the Jenn-Air with a powerful 20,000 BTU output and 2 15,000. It drops to a 5,000 after that.
Total Power: 55,000 BTU
Power Burner: 20,000 BTU
- Four sealed burners
- (1) 20,000 stacked power burner great for wok cooking and flash frying
- (2) 15,000 BTU burners so you can cook multiple dishes at maximum heat simultaneously
- (1) 5,000 BTU simmer burner that can be reduced to as low as 500 BTUs
- 7-inch full color LCD display control panel with 6 convection cooking modes
- MyCreations feature stores favorite recipes for later use
- True convection system distributes heat evenly throughout the oven
- Auto convection conversion automatically converts your recipes with conventional cook time and temperature to convection
- Self-cleaning oven feature
- 4.1 CU. FT. oven capacity
- Free dishwasher with purchase of Jenn-Air Pro range (JDB8200AWS)
1. Capital Culinarian Series CGSR304N - $5,829.99
This would be number 1 with 4 volcano like 23,000 BTU burners. Output is the highlight of this range. It is an open burner with no clock or controls.
Total Power: 92,000 BTU
Power Burner: 23,000 BTU
- Powerful open top burners at 23,000 BTU for all burners
- All burners capable of simmering at 145 degrees F
- 4.1 cubic ft self-cleaning oven
- Motorized rotisserie system
- Large infrared broiler
- Full extension removable drip trays mounted on ball bearing racks to catch cooking surface spills
- Three oven racks with five possible rack positions
Which Would I Buy?
All five of these ranges will be a BTU upgrade to your current range. I wouldn't necessarily buy a range just based on output alone. We do, however, answer that question quite a bit (hence the article).
Personally, I am not a fan of open burners because I know I do not have the time or patience to clean all of the components of the burner. After considering prices and free dishwasher promotions I would either purchase the Jenn-Air JGRP430WP or the Thermador PR304GH. I like the Jenn-Air range because it has self-cleaning as well as twin convection in both the all gas and the dual fuel models.
I also really like the 7-inch LCD display screen that walks you through the cooking process. The Thermador range is compelling, because the burners have the capability to sear at a high BTU or simmer at a lower temperature. I also like the star configuration for both its aesthetics and functionality. An added bonus: both of these ranges give you two of the nicest dishwashers in the industry.
If you are interested in a dual fuel, then Wolf with its many cooking modes should be considered.
Download the Yale Professional Range Buyers Guide with features, competitive analysis and inside tips to all the brands. Over 45,000 people have read a Yale Guide.
Jessica Petrino is an Appliance Sales Consultant at Yale Appliance + Lighting. Jessica is a recent graduate of Brandeis University where she studied Economics and Philosophy. In her spare time she enjoys skiing, singing and traveling.